Pioneer in the Asian Investment Management Markets
OverviewConsulting rolesCorporate RolesEducationPersonal
Entrepreneurial Fund Manager, Investment Strategist and Analyst.
- Thirty-eight years of experience, including six years as a Civil Engineer
- 46 years since first arrived in Asia, many multi-cultural contacts, multi-skilled financial professional
- Built investment businesses in the UK, Australia, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, India, Jersey, Korea, Japan, Taiwan & Singapore.
- Excellent investment management performance record for all client types
- Experienced Financial Expert Witness, appointed by the Courts for a wide variety of complex financial disputes and market misconduct cases
- Given evidence in the High Courts in Hong Kong and Singapore.
- First Class Honours bachelor’s degree, University of London King’s College (1977)
- Master’s degrees in Engineering, Imperial College, London (1978)
- Master in Business Administration, Harvard Business School, Boston (1986)
- Certificate in Strategic Leadership, Stanford Business School (2006)
- Certificate in Chinese from Peking University – studied for one year in Beijing (2009-10)
- Founder of Port Shelter (2008); the harbour for safe haven investment
- Practising Member of The Academy of Experts, London
Biographical data downloads:
- Richard Harris investment and functional achievements
- Richard Harris expert witness full CV
- Richard Harris short expert bio
- Richard Harris investment track record
- Richard Harris – financial expert flysheet
Download flysheet PDF
- Wide range of consulting or NED roles with asset and wealth managers, (incl business establishment, development and M&A)
- Provide independent expert witness evidence to the SFC and private clients, in HK and Singapore
- Chief Executive, Quam Asset Management (2010-12), asset manager turnaround role.
- Managing Partner, Grace Financial, established an independent multi-asset fund manager (2008).
- Director, Citigroup Private Bank, Head of Asset Allocation and Manager Selection. Built many onshore investment businesses in Asia (2004-8).
- Chief Executive of Enterprise Private Capital; established the UK-regulated fund management company, specialising in early-stage private equity. Later sold to a trade buyer. (2000-4)
- Director of Newton Investment Management, London (acquired by BNY Mellon in 1999), responsible for international private client fund management and $1 billion in assets.
- Chief Executive of Jardine Fleming’s Private Bank (acquired by JP Morgan in 1998);previously manager of JF institutional and mutual funds, including derivatives, circa $1 billion in assets (a significant figure in 1988).
- Director of Enskilda Securities, established the Asian business in 1988.
- Six years in Civil Engineering; developed and ran a geotechnical division.
- Institution of Civil Engineers Top Young Engineer of 1982
- BSc Geography, King’s College/London School of Economics with First Class Honours (1977)
- MSc Engineering Geology, Imperial College London University (1978)
- Chartered Engineer (1983).
- Harvard University, MBA (1986).
- Stanford University certificate in Strategic Leadership (2006).
- Peking University certificate in Chinese. (2009-10)
- Played rugby in 52 consecutive seasons (to 2015-6), mainly Kowloon RFC and Oundle RFC
- Aerobatic aircraft pilot (from 2001).
- Chairman and Director of International China Concern (2004-2014), supporting abandoned and disabled children in provincial China
- Married since 1983; two daughters – both Chinese linguists.
It is the feeling when I first pull on the rugby jersey at the first game of the season where I think, “Damn, I’m hard” that makes me carry on. Pasted with vaseline, bound up with tape and strapping, and pumped up by the pre match talk I can still put my ‘game face’ on – or at least fake it. Oh the Corinthian bonding! … more
I arrived at the International Office with some trepidation. “Xia Li Zheng, zhe shi nide!” I was given a slim package – slim next to the other heavier packs – I always felt that slim letters contain bad news – but no!, it was my leaving certificate – most of the others are staying on for one more semester and have no certificate just yet, just another big pack of joining instructions. …more
A number of friends have asked – on the basis of my own time as a UK politician and spin-doctor – if I could follow the UK election as it develops. I will trace the campaign as it happens and add my comments as an ‘insider’ would see it; interpreting the news as it really is – and not how it is portrayed. …more